Now Playing
Mix 965 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Today's Best Music!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Mix 965 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Today's Best Music!

entertainment

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

Iran-based hacker charged with trying to extort HBO

An Iran-based hacker plotted to extort HBO out of $6 million by threatening to release stolen episodes and scripts of hit shows, such as "Game of Thrones," at one point taunting the network with a twist on a catch phrase form that series: "Winter is coming. HBO is falling."

An indictment filed Tuesday in federal court in Manhattan accuses Behzad Mesri of hacking into the cable network's computer system in New York. It says he stole unaired episodes from shows including "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "The Deuce," story plot summaries and scripts for "Game of Thrones" and confidential cast and crew contact lists.

The hacker also stole internal HBO financial and strategic documents, and among them were home addresses and phone numbers of "Game of Thrones" stars.

Mesri, 29, a fugitive living in Iran who used the alias "Skote Vahshat," earlier this year infiltrated computer accounts of HBO employees authorized to remotely access the network's servers, the indictment says. In July, he emailed HBO executives in New York providing evidence of the hack and demanding $5.5 million in digital currency, a figure later raised to $6 million, it says. Included was an image of "Game of Thrones" Night King character, leader of an army of zombies, with the words, "Good luck HBO."

After HBO apparently refused to pay, Mesri began leaking portions of the stolen material on websites he controlled, the indictment says. One of the leaks was an unaired episode of a new HBO comedy called "Barry" on which he superimposed an opening credit showing the Night King and the "HBO is falling" threat, according to the indictment.

In a statement Tuesday, HBO said it is working with law enforcement but declined further comment.

U.S. authorities described Mesri as a computer whiz who sometimes works with a hacker group in Iran called Turk Black Hat Security. He also has teamed with the Iranian military to conduct cyberattacks targeting military and nuclear software systems and Israeli infrastructure, they said.

But there is nothing in the indictment suggesting Mesri targeted HBO on behalf of Iran's government or with its financial support, said Collin Anderson, a U.S.-based internet researcher who specializes in Iran. It's also possible Mesri was acting without the knowledge of Iran's government, he said.

It's also not clear how he came to do hacking work for Iran's military, which could have been as part of compulsory military service, Anderson said.

Although Mesri is not in custody, prosecutors decided to publicly charge him and put him on the FBI's most-wanted list to send a message to outlaw hackers that U.S. law enforcement has the means to identify, track and get them arrested if they travel to countries where the United States has better relations, acting U.S. Attorney Joon Kim said.

The U.S. has neither formal diplomatic relations nor an extradition treaty with Iran, meaning the U.S. can't request Mesri's extradition. Likewise, if he travels internationally, he could be arrested and sent to the U.S. to face charges.

"Today, winter has come for Behzad Mesri," Kim said. "He will forever be looking over his shoulder. And if he isn't, he should be."

___

Associated Press technology writer Frank Bajak in Houston contributed to this report.

Herschel Walker blames Roger Goodell for continued NFL protests

Former NFL running back Herschel Walker blamed NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for the longevity of NFL protests.

>> Read more trending news

Started by Colin Kaepernick last season, it has become common for NFL players to take a knee during the playing of the national anthem in protest of police brutality and social injustice in the United States.

“I absolutely think the protests are so upsetting, and I blame the commissioner,” Walker said, according to the New York Post. “I know people are going to be angry when I say it, but he should have stopped the protests at the very beginning."

“Guys, let me tell you this,” Walker continued. “Our flag is very special, and black lives matter, but what we should do is go to Washington after the season and protest there instead. We have young men and women fighting for the flag. And we have to respect the White House.”>> Related: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell wants players to stand during national anthem, memo says

While this is the first time Walker has publicly blamed the commissioner, it isn’t the first time Walker has expressed his opinion that NFL players should not protest during the playing of the national anthem

Above all else, Walker said in an interview with TMZ in September that players are at work during the games and should treat their jobs and bosses with respect.

“Everyone needs to stand. Everyone needs to be respectful,” Walker told TMZ. “And then what I’d do (if I were commissioner) is (say), ‘Guys, during the offseason, if you want to go walk the picket line in front of Congress, I will be right there with you.’”

President Donald Trump has continually voiced his opinion that the NFL should implement a rule demanding players stand during the playing of the national anthem.

>> Related: Do students have to stand for the Pledge, anthem?

Goodell is reported to have a contract extension finalized in the coming weeks that will be worth $40 million a year through 2023. 

Melania Trump, son Barron receive White House Christmas tree

Melania Trump and son Barron joined in a time-honored tradition of receiving the official White House Christmas tree, which will become the showstopper for a president who has vowed to put Christmas back at the center of the winter holidays.

A military quartet played holiday tunes Monday as a horse-drawn wagon carried the 19 1/2-foot (5.9-meter) Balsam fir from Wisconsin up the White House driveway.

The first lady, wearing a red turtleneck and a coat draped over her shoulders, and 11-year-old Barron, in a dark suit coat, white shirt and dark slacks, circled the tree and then visited with growers Jim and Diane Chapman. The Chapmans own a Wisconsin Christmas tree farm and won an annual contest sponsored by the National Christmas Tree Association.

"This is a beautiful tree. Thank you so much. We will decorate it very nicely," the first lady told the Chapmans and other family members. "I hope you can come and visit with us."

The White House grounds superintendent and the chief usher, who oversees the residence, picked out the tree during a September scouting trip.

After Mrs. Trump and Barron gave their symbolic approval, the tree was carefully carted off to the Blue Room where, after a slight trim and the removal of a monstrous chandelier, it will take center stage.

President Donald Trump has been eagerly waiting to celebrate a Trump Christmas at the White House. During last year's presidential campaign, he railed against the habit of saying "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas," characterizing it as a "chipping away at Christianity."

"And we're not going to let that happen anymore, folks. I'll tell you," the then-candidate said at a March 2016 news conference in Florida. "A lot of times I'll say at the rallies around Christmastime we're going to start saying Merry Christmas again. You know, they don't say it anymore. The department stores don't put it up. We're going to start saying it again."

Invitations to dozens of holiday parties hosted by the Trumps are going out. The subject line of one emailed invite references a White House "Christmas reception" while the language of the invitation itself refers to a "holiday reception."

The tree for the Blue Room usually arrives the day after Thanksgiving, but it was delivered early this year to accommodate the Trumps, who are spending the holiday at their Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida.

While the Trumps are away, a small army of volunteer decorators and florists from around the country will descend on the White House on Friday and spend the holiday weekend transforming the 132-room mansion for Christmas, complete with a tree in every public room.

The White House kitchens will go into overdrive preparing all the food and cakes, cookies and pies that are typically served at the parties, along with the gingerbread White House — which, for health reasons, is never eaten. In recent years, cookies in the image of former President Barack Obama's dogs Bo and Sunny were always among the first items to be slipped into purses for the trip home.

Trump does not have a pet.

The White House plans to unveil the holiday decor on Monday, and the first lady will also welcome children and students from Joint Base Andrews for a holiday arts and crafts event. The president plans to light the National Christmas Tree on the Ellipse on Thursday.

___

Follow Darlene Superville on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/dsupervilleap

Mother of Alex Rodriguez’s ex says he ‘couldn’t have an intellectual conversation’

Despite his relationship with Jennifer Lopez, there’s one person who isn’t impressed with Alex Rodriguez — Esther Wojcicki, the mother of his ex-girlfriend, Anne Wojcicki.

“I liked A-Rod, he was a very nice man. He came from a Hispanic family. We liked them, they were very sweet. He seemed to be genuinely in love with Anne. But I right away figured out this was a mismatch. He had no academic background,” Esther Wojcicki told the New York Times in a profile about her daughter. “We couldn’t have an intellectual conversation about anything. His main interest in life was something that none of us had ever focused on, which was baseball.”

>> Read more trending news

Anne Wojcicki is the founder of billion-dollar DNA testing company 23andMe and the ex-wife of Google co-founder, Sergey Brin. “Entertainment Tonight” reported she dated the former Yankee for nearly a year before breaking up in late 2016.

The elder Wojcicki — who is also mother to YouTube CEO, Susan Wojcicki — was critical of her youngest daughter’s boyfriend. Like any protective mother, she wasn’t a fan of A-Rod’s bad habits. It seems her pet peeve was his over-indulging in sports television.

“His main interest in life was something that none of us had ever focused on, which was baseball,” she said. “He could park himself in front of a TV and watch baseball for 10 hours a day. He wasn’t even sure he wanted to go on the yacht with Anne because the TV might not be working.”

Esther Wojcicki came just shy of calling the baseball player a “dumb jock.”

Related: Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez detail their relationship in Vanity Fair profile

According to Anne Wojcicki, when they began dating, she barely knew a thing about baseball, and eventually, vastly different lifestyles, Rodriguez’s life in New York and Anne Wojcicki’s life in Silicon Valley, pulled the pair apart. 

“Alex is a really sweet guy. He’s a smart guy. He’s a good person. Alex lives in this world of cash-flow businesses, and Silicon Valley lives in this world of the potential of the future. So it was actually kind of a really fun conversation,” Anne Wojcicki said. “Alex was really into car dealerships, and I was like, ‘We’re all about self-driving cars. Nobody’s going to buy a car. You want to buy a car dealership? I’m going to short your car dealership.’”

Anne Wojcicki also said that Rodriguez’s superstardom made day-to-day life a challenge.

“We couldn’t go anywhere with him. If we went to Target to look for clothes for the kids, all of a sudden we’d be looking around and people would be saying, ‘We just want a selfie with A-Rod,’” she said. “He can’t walk across Central Park. He has to take a cab. That will work better with J-Lo because she’s like, ‘Take a picture of me anytime.’”

As far as Mom’s opinion on Jennifer Lopez?

“I wish J-Lo all the luck in the world,” she said.

She’s not looking to step into another high-profile relationship anytime soon, either.

“I’d really love to date someone who’s really simple and not famous. My life is already pretty complicated,” Anne Wojcicki told the Times.

The exes seem to be doing just fine apart. Rodriguez recently landed the cover of “Vanity Fair” with his new love and is “living the dream.” As for Anne Wojcicki, she’s completely changing the genetic game, turning around the luck of her unlikely startup.

Baron Cohen to pay fine for Czechs sporting Borat mankinis

Comic actor Sacha Baron Cohen has offered to pay the fines for six Czech tourists who were reportedly detained by authorities in Kazakhstan's capital Astana for dressing up as his character Borat.

Sporting lime green "mankinis" and black wigs, the men had hoped to take a picture in front of the "I Love Astana" sign earlier this month.

But local police fined them some $68 each for committing minor hooliganism, according to local media.

In a Facebook post on Tuesday, Baron Cohen says: "To my Czech mates who were arrested. Send me your details and proof that it was you, and I'll pay your fine."

The swimsuit became popular after Baron Cohen sported it in the 2006 movie "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan."

That film offended many Kazakhs by portraying the country as backward and degenerate.

German police retrieve 100 stolen John Lennon items

German police recovered around 100 items that belonged to late Beatles star John Lennon that were stolen from his widow in New York, including three diaries, two pairs of his signature metal-rimmed glasses, a cigarette case and a handwritten music score.

The retrieved possessions were displayed Tuesday at Berlin police headquarters.

"This was a spectacular, unusual criminal case," police spokesman Winfrid Wenzel told reporters.

German authorities first became aware of the items, stolen from Yoko Ono at her New York home in 2006, when a bankruptcy administrator for the Berlin auction house Auctionata contacted them in July. The administrator had found the memorabilia in the company's storage.

Police confiscated the items from the auctioneers two weeks later, and on Monday arrested a suspect and raided his Berlin home and cars. They said another suspect, who is living in Turkey, is currently "not available," but they would try to get him extradited to Germany.

During their investigation, police officers and prosecutors also flew to New York, where they met Ono to have her verify the stolen goods' authenticity.

"She was very emotional and we noticed clearly how much these things mean to her and how happy she would be to have them back," prosecutor Susann Wettley said of the moment they showed Ono some of the recovered items and pictures of some others.

Wettley said that Ono's former driver, who is now living in Turkey, is one of the suspects. He has a previous conviction in New York related to the stolen items, she said.

The other suspect, who was arrested in Berlin on Monday, was identified as a 58-year-old German businessman of Turkish origin. During the search of his car, police said they found additional belongings of Lennon in a briefcase hidden under the spare tire in the trunk. Neither suspect's name was released because of German privacy rules.

Police are still checking confiscated computer files and business contracts to better understand how exactly the stolen goods ended up at the auction house in Berlin and if the auctioneers were aware that they bought stolen goods from the two suspects. They said the items have been in possession of Auctionata since 2014, but were never available for sale online.

The trove of Lennon memorabilia also includes a recording of a Beatles concert from 1965, a school exercise book from 1952, contract documents for the copyright of Lennon's "I'm the Greatest" song and handwritten scores for "Woman" and "Just like starting over."

There are also three of Lennon's leather-bound diaries, from 1975, 1979 and 1980. The last entry was made by Lennon on the morning of Dec. 8, 1980, a few hours before he was killed, Wettley said.

It included a note on the famous photo shoot by Annie Leibovitz that same day showing a naked Lennon embracing his wife.

It wasn't immediately clear when Ono will get all the items back.

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu working on book about race

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu is working on a book about his views on race and his support for taking down four Confederate monuments earlier this year.

Viking told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Landrieu's "In the Shadow of Statues: A White Southerner Confronts History" will come out in March.

The publisher announced that the Democratic mayor will trace his personal history and look at the larger history of racism in the U.S.

Landrieu says the country is at a "pivotal moment" and that he hopes to offer a path out of the current divisions of race, religion and politics.

The 57-year-old Landrieu is the first white mayor of mostly black New Orleans in decades. He has called the Confederate statues celebratory of a South that defended slavery.

Kevin Hart announces birth of baby boy Kenzo Kash

Kevin Hart has announced the birth of his son, Kenzo Kash Hart.

The comedian writes on social media that the baby was born early Tuesday morning. He adds that the boy is "healthy & already smiling."

Hart and his wife, Eniko, announced on Mother's Day that she was expecting their first child. Hart has two children from a previous marriage.

In September, Hart publicly apologized to Eniko and his children for what he described as a "bad error in judgment." He said someone was trying to seek financial gain over his mistakes, and he'd rather confess than let that happen.

An attorney for a woman who said she was "involved" with Hart in August said someone secretly placed cameras in a hotel suite and recorded "bedroom images" of the pair.

Past SNL performers, staff sign statement supporting Franken

A group of women who worked alongside Al Franken on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" have signed a statement of support for the Minnesota senator.

Last week, broadcaster Leeann Tweeden accused Franken of forcibly kissing her in 2006. Another woman says he placed his hand on her buttocks while posing for a photo in 2010.

Thirty-six women signed the SNL statement supporting the Democrat, including performers Jane Curtin and Laraine Newman, and many behind-the-scenes staff.

The statement calls Franken's conduct toward Tweeden "stupid and foolish," but says the women know Franken as "a devoted and dedicated family man, a wonderful comedic performer, and an honorable public servant." It says none of them have experienced improper behavior from Franken.

The statement was released Friday, before the second woman's allegations came to light.

Rapper Nelly's planned Saudi gig sparks social media stir

Rapper Nelly is to perform in Saudi Arabia next month, but his planned concert in the ultraconservative kingdom is not being welcomed by everyone.

Some Saudis on social media are pointing to the American rapper's 2015 guilty plea for possession of marijuana. Smuggling drugs is punishable by death in Saudi Arabia and possession of drugs is also a crime.

Others say it's disgraceful that Saudi Arabia's new Entertainment Authority is officially sponsoring the male-only concert on Dec. 14 in light of a rape accusation against the rapper.

The Grammy-winning rapper was briefly arrested last month after a woman said he raped her on his tour bus. A week later, the woman dropped her pursuit of criminal charges. Nelly was never charged with a crime.

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >