Watermelon and Feta Salad at Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa. (Allen Eyestone / The Palm Beach Post)
Feeling a bit parched? Here, let us pass you a hydrating recipe (or 34). At 92 percent water (no wonder its name), watermelon is nature’s thirst quencher. This isn’t a one-trick fruit, though. Chc vitamins and minerals such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, choline, lycopene, and betaine, watermelon has been shown toreduce blood pressure, ease inflammation, and soothe sore muscles.
Ready to get your watermelon on? These 34 recipes will keep you hydrated while you sip, slurp, and bite into the watery fruit’s benefits.
2. Chilly Watermelon Soup This creamy soup is sweet heaven to the taste buds (without any added sugar, mind you), and a godsend to the digestive system thanks to a base of chilled, protein-richGreek yogurt thick with probiotics—live bacteria that rev up digestion .
3. Gluten-Free Watermelon Rind Soup Let’s just say your skin will love you after slurping up spoonfuls of this super simple soup. Hearty chunks of watermelon rind contribute citrulline, a key component in creating amino acids that perk up the collagen in your skin. Meanwhile, crisp slices of carrot bring vitamin A and antioxidants, which protect the skin from sun damage, to the table (or, er, bowl).
4. Stewed Watermelon Curry When the nights cool down, heat them back up with this spicy, sweet, and seriously refreshing soup. Juicy morsels of sweet watermelon and diced tomatoes (both of which benefit the heart, courtesy of lycopene) perfectly complement the savory spices of cumin, chili pepper, and turmeric, which eases inflammation . The whole dish gets a pop of unique flavor thanks to hing, a hard spice made from sap and bursting with taste reminiscent of leeks.
5. Watermelon and Basil Soup Sit back, kick your sand-covered feet up, and chill out with a big bowl of this soup. The kick of red onion holds its own under waves of sweet watermelon and refreshing cucumber. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh basil.
6. Watermelon Gazpacho Chop, blend, freeze, eat! Could you ask for anything more deliciously stress-free? This gazpacho not only replaces tomato juice with watermelon, but it also adds red bell peppers to the mix for a burst of vibrant color and mood-soothing nutrients such as vitamin B6 and magnesium—a combination that’s been shown to ease anxiety .
7. Watermelon Soup with Cucumber and Cilantro First things first: Keep it chunky! The bite of cucumbers and watermelon will keep you extra-hydrated; cucumbers are actually 96 percent water! Their skin is also packed with potassium, which can help keep your heart kicking and blood pressure in check during active days under the sun .
8. Grilled Watermelon Salad and Pickled Radishes You’ve never quite tasted watermelon until you’ve tasted watermelon kissed with char-grill marks. This recipe starts with brushing a slab of watermelon with basil-infused olive oil and throwing it on the grill (or grill pan). Once it’s done to perfection, just chop and toss it on a bed of iron-rich mixed greens. Finish with tart, crunchy pickled radish and pumpkin seeds. If you’re into it, add in some pickled blueberries for a pop of color and immune-boosting zinc!
9. Curried Crab and Watermelon Salad with Arugula Cutting into this salad could very well be the best thing you do all day. Lumps of curried crab sit atop juicy slices of watermelon, while arugula serves as a bitter complement to the fruit's sweetness.
10. Cucumber Watermelon Summer Salad Crisp cucumbers, refreshing watermelon, and crunchy peppers tossed in a tequila spiked dressing—what a summertime delight! This salad also features vitamin-E-richavocado for an antioxidant punch.
11. Chicken and Mango Salad with Watermelon There’s a small side salad, and then there’s “Oh man, this is like an entire meal” salad—and this recipe falls into the latter category. Chili and hazelnut-encrusted chicken are layered alongside refreshing chunks of watermelon and mango atop a bed of calcium-rich baby spinach, then finished with a drizzle of lemon dressing—yeah, it’s more than a mouthful. Extra bonus: When you’re biting into that mango, you’re chowing down onbone-strengthening vitamins.
12. Watermelon Burrata Salad “What the heck is Burrata?,” you ask? It’s one of the best cheeses to pair with watermelon, is what it is. This Italian cheese is basically a mozzarella casing filled with scraps of mozzarella and topped off with fresh cream before closing, making it super creamy and quite mild. A little of the cheese goes a long way, but when it comes to the sweet watermelon and tart blueberries, pile them on! Those little berries will give your health a big boost thanks to their high levels of the antioxidant anthocyanin .
13. Quinoa Salad with Watermelon, Feta, and Basil While this salad can be prepared in a flash, you’ll want to plan ahead: The longer the nutty quinoa and salty feta soak in the sweet watermelon juices, the better. Plus, you’ll want to make sure it’s chilled to perfection—because that’s how a salad dripping with muscle-replenishing lysine, an amino acid found in quinoa, should be devoured on a hot and hectic summer day.
14. Roasted Beet and Watermelon Salad Remember: Waste not, want not. And in this salad, nothing goes to waste. Once thebeets are roasted, they’re tossed alongside watermelon and the beets’ tops and stems and drizzled with a simple balsamic vinaigrette. The best part? Beets are brimming with folate, a B9 vitamin that helps keep cognitive function and memory sharp .
15. Shrimp and Watermelon Summer Salad This salad is kissed with a lime-garlic-honey dressing and is perfect for the summer season. Protein-rich shrimp complement a fruit salad made from antioxidant-rich lychees, oranges, and watermelon .
16. Tomato and Watermelon Salad Some days you just need to lighten up and brighten up! Red, yellow, and green heirloom tomatoes bring an array of colors and antioxidants to this refreshing salad, not to mention bone-strengthening vitamin K. Finished with a splash of balsamic vinaigrette, a dash of mint, and a handful of pistachios, this salad will bring a smile to the face of anyone lucky enough to eat it.
18. Watermelon, Carrot, Zucchini Salad Move over, cucumber; there’s another refreshing, oblong vegetable on the scene (yes, we’re talking about zucchini). When sliced up and tossed into this salad bursting with carrots, green peppers, red cabbage, and watermelon, all of the ingredients work together to provide a whole heap of vitamins (and tastiness).
19. Kickin’ Watermelon Salad (Goat Cheese, Balsamic, and Cayenne) Now this is a wedge salad! A heaping wedge of watermelon is sprinkled with tangy goat cheese, which perfectly complements the fruit’s sugary juices. The savory side of this salad is also brought out by a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar, a sprinkle of salt, and a dash of cayenne pepper, which can speed up the metabolism and slow down snack cravings .
20. Watermelon and Ricotta Salad Sweet, salty, peppery—goodness, your taste buds have no idea what they’re in for! This hearty salad features chunks of hydrating watermelon, antioxidant-rich olives, crisp red onions, and pillows of ricotta atop a mound of peppery arugula .
21. Watermelon Mango Pico de Gallo You know those summer days when it’s so darn scorching that you can barely concentrate and truly believe your brain is about to overheat? Well, those are the days you should be dipping tortilla chips into this fruity pico. The copper in mango is known to stimulate the brain, while morsels of watermelon work to cool you down.
22. Southern Watermelon Benedict There’s just something about beautifully plated food that makes people want to devour it! You can pull off this aesthetically pleasing and oh-so-refreshing treat in a snap. Start with homemade granola bars (It’ll help you avoid added sugar and preservatives), then stack immune-boosting kiwi and heart-healthy watermelon on top before finishing with a drizzle of yogurt .
23. Watermelon Coconut Lime Popsicles Take a chill pill? How about grab a chill pop? They’re the perfect antidote to rising temps. The fresh lime juice (zest included) frozen into this popsicle packs flavonoids that lower blood pressure and cholesterol . And the watermelon and coconut cream in this no-fuss treat can sweeten any mood.
24. Halloumi and Watermelon Bites Who doesn’t like to get decadent every now and again? Thin slices of halloumi (a mixture of sheep- and goat- milk cheese) crisp up perfectly on the outside and melt wonderfully on the inside. They’re then layered atop thick slices of watermelon—and the contrast between the warm cheese and the cold watermelon is to die for!
For the full list of recipes with watermelon, including drinks, go to Greatist.com.