Now Playing
Mix 965 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Today's Best Music!
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Mix 965 Tulsa
Last Song Played
Today's Best Music!

Posted: April 18, 2014

Faulty pool light may have caused 7-year-old's electrocution death

Facebook

Related

Staff and wire reports

NORTH MIAMI, Fla. —

Authorities say a faulty pool light appears to be the cause of a 7-year-old boy being killed at his South Florida home.
 
North Miami police say a nanny was watching Calder Sloan swim in a backyard pool Sunday when he was electrocuted. The jolt reportedly catapulted him out of the water as he raced a friend.
 
The boy's father, Chris Sloan, told The Miami Herald they hired a contractor to fix the pool light last year, but he hadn't had time to retrieve records of the repair. The family has not stayed at the home since Calder Sloan's death.

“I think we’ll end up selling this house. I don’t think we can live here,” Chris Sloan told The Miami Herald. “It was always a joy living in this house. Now it’s dark, cold.”

North Miami building department records don't indicate any permits pulled or inspections done at the Sloan home in the past year.

Police say the investigation is far from over.

Miami TV station News10 reports the family has opened a memorial fund at the school where Calder attended school.

To make a donation to the Calder Jacob Sloan Legacy Fund:

Make checks out to:
Lehrman Community Day School
memo: Calder J Sloan Legacy Fund

Address:
Lehrman Community Day School
727 77th St
Miami Beach, FL 33141
Attn: Jodi Bruce, Head of School

—The Associated Press contributed to this report

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.