Sign up below to be added to our mailing list for the latest news updates, access to exclusive contents, and more!
AUSTIN, Texas - Firefighters in Texas battled blazes outside an Austin factory twice last week after cardboard boxes of tortilla chips reportedly "spontaneously combusted."
According to the Austin Fire Department, the first fire broke out last Thursday after factory workers tried "a new way to handle the waste from the chips that, suffice it to say, didn't work out so well." As crews fought the blaze, more cases erupted in flames, officials said. Firefighters quickly put out the flames, the Austin American-Statesman reported.
But their work wasn't done. On Sunday, several other boxes ignited, prompting firefighters to "[drown] all of the other crates that had yet to burn, thereby eliminating the risk completely," officials said.